Coyote's Creed

Coyote's Creed - Vaughn R. Demont

Wonderful. Truly wonderful!

A massive thank you to Francesca for recommending this one to me. I will repay her for her excellent advice with at least three pints*.

*Note: I have not specified what will be in the pints, this book has thought me some things.

Urban Fantasy is one of my absolute favourite genres and when I stumbled into the wonder that is m/m I stopped reading so much of it. This week I realised just how much I missed discovering new worlds. Don’t get me wrong, I have read some really good fantasy m/m in the last year but it has been a long, long time since I was actually dreading the end of a book because I didn’t want to leave the world that I had just been introduced to. I’ve spent the last month rereading books that made me feel that way when I first read them and now I’ve found another one and I am overjoyed. Overjoyed I tell you!!

So where to begin?

Coyote’s Creed is set in a world that is full of tricksters and feuds. Everyone has an agenda and nothing is as it seems. Spencer Jensen Crain finds himself rather unceremoniously thrown into this world, this really very confusing world, and is expected to navigate it while having not one clue what is going on. We learn as Spencer learns and like Spencer sometimes I had no idea what was going on and who could be trusted. It was so much fun.

So what have we got?

He have the best of the tricksters is what we got!!

Father Coyote and his clan obviously.

”We aren’t criminals. Well, we are, but we’re the good kind!”

The Kitsune. My first contact with the foxes outside Teen Wolf.

”Bunch of uppity bastards who need more than one tail so they can hide the sticks they’ve got shoved up their asses.”

And the Fae, who in this come in the form of the Phouka.

“I rather miss the Dogs, personally. Absolute honesty can make for such intricate deception, don’t you find? A web of truths is so much harder to navigate, because you never know quite where you are.”

Spencer is half coyote and even though he is the greenest of green when it comes to this world he has more than one trick up his sleeve. I think Spencer is my new favourite (I really am very fickle). He is great at getting into trouble but when needed the Fates are on side to get him out of it. He has a way of getting people who shouldn't be helping him to help and he has a knack of getting people to talk. A knack that is way more important than you would think. But Spencer’s other half is human and that half makes him wholly unpredictable and also really sweet at times.

“May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home. May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam. May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures. May all life’s passing seasons bring the best to you and yours.”

There is a lot going on in this book. You are being given a huge amount of information and only some of that information correlates to what you may think you know about the supernatural beings that are mentioned, so it means you have got to really pay attention, but for me it’s what made this so enjoyable to read. It kept me on my toes and I love when a new twist is added to stories that I’ve heard before.

”This world, after all, is not the dream of a sleeping child. In the stories I will tell of it, it will be a world that was a broken mirror, where a recluse forever danced toward a frozen river, and the Kitsune that will be in the world after this one will be the same foxes and yet different. So many worlds lie between that world of legend and this one, but some things have remained constant for the foxes. It will be up to you to discover which is which.”

Another winner for me in this was Rourke. I’m pretty sure the main reason is that he is Irish but also I love me a Fae character in books. I love that the Fae cannot lie because I find myself questioning absolutely everything they say, turning it around and around in my head trying to pick out what they are not saying. They are the most untrustworthy beings ever and they are so much fun to read.

Also have to say that I really liked the relationship between Rourke and Spencer. Controversial I know, but I’m not gonna lie, it was kinda hot. There. I said it.

More!! I want more. This series has royally screwed up my bank holiday reading plans. James is up next and by the sounds of things it will be sans Spencer but there will be sorcerers so SCORE!!

“When a trickster pulls an Emerald in the Snow, a Ra’keth accepts a truth which terrifies them more than anything.”

“Uh…their power?”