Shattered Glass

Shattered Glass - Dani Alexander

Shattered Glass has been popping up in my recommendations for ages now, after looking at some reviews and most of them mentioning the famous 'Fucking Bunny Slippers' my interest was well and truly piqued add to that being invited to participate in my first ever BR with the GCR Group in celebration of M/M March, it got catapulted to the top of the pile. So glad it did. Can't believe it took this long to get to it. It was excellent.

I loved the writing in this book, loads of laugh out loud moments, great dialogue and some really touching and heartbreaking scenes. I ended up with most of this book highlighted for quotes (far too many to post).

The characters and myself had a kind love/hate/love relationship. I adored Austin at the start, I loved his humour and his ability to own his decisions once he made them and not hide who he was. Then there were the times he was a judgemental, selfish ass who seemed to be on a mission to destroy his and a few others lives. Then he started to see how his decisions were impacting on the people around him and he became likeable again. Peter did not endear himself to me until very late in the game, mainly because I just couldn't trust him (or more Austin couldn't). My love/hate relationship with Austin, Peter and the vast majority of the secondary characters is one of the reasons I loved this book though. The main players are complicated, things are not always as they seem and heartbreaking things happened in their lives that make them who they are and put them on paths that even though you might not agree with, are certainly understandable.

This is a really great read and I can't wait for what's to come from Dani Alexander. One of the most likeable characters in this, actually one of the most likeable characters ever, is Cai. His book is up next and I can't wait.

Bunny Slipper mania

"I was fairly sure I had a bunny slipper fetish, not a cock sucking fixation"

"I'm bunny-slipper-sexual?"

"This is why I want to be with you, Austin. Not because of money or emotional debt." He fingered one dingy ear of the slippers I had rescued, his smile taking my breath. My stomach flipped a few times.
"Because I dry cleaned your slippers?"
"Because you value what's really important."

Beautiful Cai
"Cruelty is an effortless answer to fear."
"Who said that?"
"You're too wise for your own good."
"You're too cynical for yours."

"I love you. No you don't. I don't love you. Yes you do. Wah, wah, wah. Some of us wanted to sleep!"

"Do you know what I did to the last guy who called me Tinkerbelle?"
"Slept with him?"
Darryl thought for a second "After that."

Begone deserves an honourable mention
Demons should not be that small. Were demons small? Or gargoyles. Was it a gargoyle? I was being facetious, but really, seriously, "What. The. Fuck?"

I honestly could quote this book until I ran out of space, so much good stuff. I urge everyone to read it. You will not regret it.