Infected: Life After Death

Infected: Life After Death - Andrea Speed "Humanity was awful; humanity made you hurt. Humanity was a weakness that would kill everyone, one way or another"

"I'm not going to lie to you and say it gets easier, because it doesn't. It's just that you get used to it. The human animal has an amazing capacity to get used to almost anything."

Oh my, Roan just about finished me off in this, he still had his trademark snark but he also had a shroud of pain wrapped around him at almost all times. I read in another review that this book was really about mourning and I have to agree. Roan's grieving, Dylan's grieving, Roan's first case and even Matt and perhaps Eli. Everyone dealt with it differently and it highlighted that death was not necessarily the only thing that is mourned.

I'm loving this series and I am absolutely madly in love with Roan but it is far from perfect and this book really highlighted the imperfections. There were some big boo boos, like timeline issues and cases not being resolved (the case in question is dealt with in a 'p.s.' at the end which I found to be really frustrating and kind of brilliant) and little annoyances, like basically EVERYONE having an original name that ends up not being there actual name, and speaking of names, the fraud case had about 50 million names (I guess since it's fraud that's understandable) and I got very confused on a few occasions.

But I think I could forgive anything because of Roan and now Holden and Dylan and Fiona. There is a bleak sense of humor that I'm really enjoying and I genuinely enjoy the cases. This world is unusual and fascinating and the changes that are happening to Roan as an Infected child and being with him as he witnesses the effects that other Infected endure is heartbreaking and intriguing. Bring on the Lion I say!!