Fade

Fade - Ais, Santino Hassell
"A dismal end to lives forever cast in shadow."

If I could use only one word to describe ‘Fade’ that word would be PAIN.

‘Fade’ ripped me apart, had me ugly crying regularly, so much so that I had puffy eyes for about two days straight which led to people constantly asking me if I was okay. It necessitated the very first ‘Irish ICoS Support Group’ being set up and it basically took over my life completely for 9 days.

So yeah pain. But it was a beautiful kind of pain.

This series was a fabulous experience. The characters (good and pure evil) are going to be staying with me for a long, long time to come. Hsin and Boyd’s relationship was an epic one. The two of them together was so wonderful and so intense, the two of them apart was soul destroying.

”He lost connection with everything except the agony that burrowed a seed down into his heart.”

“Why did he always have to be the one left behind? Why did he always have to be the one to gather the broken pieces and glue them back together, a mockery of what he'd once been? Why did he always have to suffer through the loss—that gaping, wrenching loss that sucked him up, ripped him apart, and carelessly threw him aside?"

The places Hsin and Boyd go in this book were so surprising and as painful as the journey they took was, it was also extraordinary. It makes me giddy and distraught just thinking about them in Annadale. It felt to me that no matter what, no matter the obstacles that were placed in their path they would find each other. Together they would overcome everything.

Boyd’s pain was palpable at times throughout this. There were times in the series that myself and Boyd fell out. I tried to look at things from his point of view many times and most of the time I understood why he did what he did. That was until a certain foot message which caused me to have a totally irrational meltdown. After that we drifted apart for a little but all was forgiven in this. ‘Fade’ is mostly Boyd’s POV and it was just incredible, he will now forever be on my ‘heroes I love’ shelf (along with Hsin and Emilio of course) and being with him through some really awful events and some truly beautiful ones was one of the best reading experiences I’ve ever had.

“Freedom is not worth it without him. I don’t remember everything, but I know that.”

I am so sad to be finished ICoS. It is such an addictive series and one of the best I’ve ever read. For 31 days I obsessed, I cried, I laughed, I screamed, I fell in love and I fell in hate with the characters in this world. I met wonderful people on Twitter, here and in RL because of it. I dreamt of it every night and when I wasn’t reading it I was staring off into space thinking about it. I have no idea what to do with myself now. I feel kind of lost. Thanking Ais and Sonny for this seems so inadequate. It still boggles my mind that this is free, it’s an amazing gift and one I will be forever grateful for.

”It’s because the truth is important. Never let anyone tell you differently, Boyd. Even if it hurts to say, even if it’s painful to hear, even if you wish you could run the other way – it’s important. It separates the people with integrity from the deceivers. It’s what makes a person trustworthy. Somebody to believe in. “

So onwards we go. I’m excited about what’s next.

”But that was the way it went anytime a person was on the precipice of change. The fear of the future mixed with the loss of the past. At those times, all a person could do was step forward.”