Sinner's Gin

Sinner's Gin - Rhys Ford

I don't know. I shouldn't have liked this, and parts of it I really didn't, but I got sucked in and I think I'm going to have to read the entire series.

So here is the dealio, I will not rant about this and I will try to only mention it the once. The 'Irishisms' in this were just awful. Think season 3 of Sons of Anarchy awful!!

Now I tend to avoid books with Irish characters or set in Ireland that aren't written by people who live or have lived here because this is a pet hate of mine but I had not read the blurb or any reviews about this so I didn't know about the Morgan's. I could do the whole nitpicking thing and point out everything that was wrong (we are capable of saying 'you' and throwing 'ye' or 'yer' in everywhere does not an Irish accent make) or I could just build a bridge and get the fuck over it. So that's what I'm going to do and like with Sons of Anarchy I just tried to think that the place where these characters were from was not my Ireland but some other place in the world. Nothing to do with me at all, never been there, know nothing about it and they can speak Gaelic there if they want.

The important thing to note is that the Morgan's were lovely and utterly supportive of their entire family and loved them all equally. They also loved and took care of Miki because of Kane. That's the Morgan's so I like have to love them.

I had a few issues with the narration in this as well,'the boy' and 'the singer' and 'the cop' etc felt unnecessary and distracted me at times but overall it was enjoyable and I'm glad I read it. It's total book crack but it's not all light and fluffy, there is angst and poor Miki just about broke my heart. It's a little dark at times but you always know that Miki and Kane will be okay.

"People like my mom and Miki are like kites. They need the sky. They need the wind. Me and my dad? We're the people holding the string. We're their anchors to the earth. Miki and I can feel each other through the connection."

Here's hoping 'Whiskey and Wry' doesn't make me lose my mind. Mythical faraway land, keep thinking mythical faraway land!!