Widdershins

Widdershins  - Jordan L. Hawk Okay. So 3.75 stars I think.

For a little while (about 55%) I felt a little like this:

I think there are a number of reasons for this and to be honest, most of them are just my problem. There was a lot of information in the first half, I do think it was necessary though as we are meeting the characters for the first time and setting up a series. There really is no other way around it. I just found myself getting a little distracted and losing focus every now and again. My other problem was the language used. I love historicals. LOVE them. So I am used to the fact that the language is often very different when compared to contemporary romances. What took some getting used to was how very proper Whyborne was and because he is so very proper he uses such words as ‘member’ and ‘length’.

I hate the word 'member' when referring to a certain appendage. I can kind of get on board if it’s not used very often but if it is used a lot I start to want to scream at random. I can’t explain it. It’s just a thing.

So I was enjoying the mystery and the characters (I should point out here that Christine is absolutely freaking AMAZING and totally kickass and I want to be her when I grow up) but I was having a few minor issues. Then I hit around 55% and it all just kind of clicked. I just got super excited and couldn’t put it down.

Lots of things started to happen.

The sexual tension got sorted out to start with.

The investigation really started to open up and things began to get interesting.

And did I mention the sexual tension?

Because seriously once that was sorted, I was well and truly in. Whyborne starts being a little less proper. I think that Griffin is going to be a good/bad influence on Whyborne, I can’t wait. He also begins to gain a little more confidence, now he still has a way to go (he has self-esteem issues, not that I blame him, but it did get a bit annoying at times) but he is on the right track and in this I think Griffin is also going to do him wonders. There was of course the prerequisite misunderstanding but I think it showed how much more confident Whyborne had become since meeting Griffin with how quickly he came to his senses.

And the lovey dovey moments were adorable.

(I wasn’t altogether sure about ‘my dear’ but I think I’m starting to like it, weird because that would usually be something I would not like but I think it suits Whyborne)

And the hot moments were just smoking.

So now, having finished it, I’m glad of the information overload, I feel I had a really good understanding of the investigation, I really started to get into this world and I’m now pretty invested in these characters.

I guess Sherlock says it best in this case:

Note:
My first introduction to Whyborne and Griffin was in the anthology [b:Another Place In Time|23158673|Another Place In Time|Aleksandr Voinov|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1409916193s/23158673.jpg|42705525]. In that we get Griffin’s POV. I fell a bit in love with him in that and I am even more in love with him having met him through Whyborne's POV.

Griffin is quite different to Whyborne and I think it’s also why it took me a bit of time to get into this, having said that it may have also helped as I knew how awesome they both are together and because of that I was confident that it would all come together.