Archangel's Storm

Archangel's Storm - Nalini Singh Originally read December 2012 - 4 Stars

Re-read 4 - 6 March 2014 - 5 Stars

Okay so I think I wasn't in a good frame of mind when I first read this because that was frigging awesome and I originally gave it 4 stars. This is definitely a 5 star read and what's more it deserves a place on my favourites list.

I adore Jason. He is intelligent and deadly and hot and he has a super cool tattoo. (I'm still a silly teenager at heart) He is just yum. His back story absolutely killed me, I actually got an overwhelming feeling of helplessness during those flashbacks. Nalini Singh really takes no prisoners when she is dishing out the pain to her characters, nobody is safe and I suspect that it is only going to get worse. Of course Mahiya's story will pluck the heart strings and terrify you as well but Mahiya's story is different from everybody else's in this series. Mahiya is a warrior, not in the conventional sense but she is a warrior. Everyone else survives their tragedies (and some are a lot worse than others) but I think those tragedies have left ugly scars on each character. Like Elena's issues with trust and Jason's capacity to love but Mahiya having endured her own nightmares is in no way bitter, downtrodden or afraid. She is strong and her only mission is to survive and live the best life she can. I loved this. I am amazed by her, she is a total kick-ass heroine in her own understated way.

This is another fantastic addition to this series, the setting is spectacular and the fort became almost like an additional character for me. The Palace of Jewels fascinated me and I am heartbroken to learn that it is not real, the Mirror Palace has been added to my list of places to go though.

I was happy enough to leave Elena and Raphael to themselves in this and the last book, I adore The Seven and wish they could all have their very own book but I will be glad to have Elana and Raphael back in the next one. Dmitiri and Honor's story continues throughout this one (just small snippets) and there are tiny, tiny glimpses of Elena and Raphael. I think it is a good strategy to always leave them wanting more and I can't wait to see how Elena and Raphael get on in the next book. I suspect all hell is about to break loose.

Some favourite quotes from this one:
I will survive and I will survive whole. (Mahiya showing she will not become an ugly thing in order to survive, I thought this was quite powerful in it's simplicity.)

I have so much love inside me, Jason. So much. And I have never been allowed to shower it on anyone - no one has wanted it. Let me stretch the wings of my heart with you. (I mean how can you not love this women? She is the sweetest.)

"I'm sorry, Mama," he whispered again. "I promise I'll do better tomorrow." After she was awake. (by this stage I was a mess, but this sticks in my mind, a child not being able to comprehend the horror that is taking place around him, it just broke my heart.)

"I'll walk you to the edge of my hill." It was a joke, the rolling hillock of land barely deserving of the name, but she'd insisted on calling it that - until she'd woken up two days ago to find a neatly carved wooden sign on it, proclaiming the rise "Mahiya's Hill." (I love this, I think that one of the best ways to tell a person that you love them is by the little things that we do for them, it is not always about proclaiming it. This to me is Jason showing Mahiya how he feels about her. It is very sweet.)